Sunday, November 20, 2011

Close call

I am feeling very thankful tonight. Not because the days are closing in on the upcoming holiday, Thanksgiving. I have been feeling extra thankful since last week Wednesday because I was reminded how quick life can be take away from me.... again.

Last week Wednesday, I was leaving work at 5pm. I was on my way to school to study and finish some homework and quizzes I had put off until that last day due. I stopped to talk to a friend for a few minutes, when my cell phone rang. I answered and it was my husband, telling me he had just been in a car accident. Our 3-year old son was with him.

Of course I freaked and rushed on my way.

But as I was driving (which felt like forever, but was only 15 minutes away) I was replaying our phone conversation we had 5 minutes prior to the accident back to myself in my head. I was feeling guilt. Heavy guilt.

I was feeling guilt because before the accident, my husband and son were on their way home. I talked briefly to my son because I knew he would be sleeping by the time I got home from school. He was sad, begging me to come home. I tried to explain the best a person could to a 3-year old, that mommy had to stay at school. And so, I was feeling guilty here as well for not being home as much as I would like, or he would like. I told him to tell daddy to take him shopping and buy him a new movie. My husband protested, but gave in.

He turned around.

5 minutes later, he got in the accident.

Thankfully, no one was injured badly. My husband's hand was bleeding a lot, but standing out in the ditch and the ice coldness of the air stopped the bleeding. Also his wrist and ankle are sore and he has a gash on his right shin. Even more thankfully, our son wasn't even touched. The ambulance still checked him over, and as he milked the attention of the EMTs, he pouted and showed them each of his week to two week old owies that he has received from being the world's biggest daredevil and couch-jumper. He certainly gave the EMTs a laugh, and said he would be fine.

Now we have to buy a new car. Since his car was a beater, we only insured liability on it. Last time I am going to do that!

It just seems like once life gets even an ounce easier, a car wreck happens and throws you back (or even father) to where you were once before.

Sure, I can pout and grumble about how much this sucks. But would I really think of, is I am glad to have my family. I would be devastated if I received that phone call from someone else, to explain the worst possible.

So no matter how many days a week my son says "jeez, mommy, you are making me crazy" because I force him to be responsible and clean his room and eat his veggies, I love him. His catch phrases always make me laugh, even in the serious and frustrating moments.

And, of course, no matter how many times my husband says "woman, you make me crazy", I love him just as much. He knows that the only reason I pick on him, is because I like him. It all goes back to the story of two little preschoolers on the playground, pulling piggy tails and throwing dirt, only because they like each other in the special way.

So, not because it's the month of the Thanksgiving holiday, but because of an unexpected reminder... I am very thankful for the family God has given me and the family that choose to be a part of our lives.



No comments: